Saturday, December 4, 2010

Never Give Up (Pray Continually!)

In January it will be two years since my maternal grandmother died.  She was the only grandmother I really knew, and she had an important place in my childhood and youth.  All I have left to remind me of her (besides my fond memories) are a handful of old snapshots and a rather large jade ring.

The ring doesn’t look like it was expensive, just a ¾-inch oval of unremarkable jade, in a 4-prong setting with some cutout swirls and leaf appliqués decorating the sides.  While charming in its simple way, it’s not a piece of jewelry that speaks pure beauty and pleasure to my soul in the way some other jewelry can.  When it was offered to me, I took it as something to remember my grandmother by, not because of the ring’s inherent appeal.

Granny's ring on my ring finger!
That changed last week.  The ring didn’t used to fit my ring finger, and I had to use a thick guard to keep it on my pinky.  I wore it like that a few times, and then set it aside.  Tuesday morning, though, I was inspired to wear it and to my great pleasure, found that (because I had lost some weight) I could wear it on my ring finger!  Being able to slide that ring onto my now slimmer finger was a gift in and of itself.  But as I looked at the ring on my hand, I remembered my grandmother and heard in my mind the words “never give up.” 

“Never give up.”  The last time I saw my grandmother, she’d had a stroke or attack of some sort, and was in the hospital, unable to speak.  So I spoke for both of us, chatting on about family and circumstances.  I watched her eyes as I spoke to her.  I don’t think I’d ever looked at them as intently as I did during that visit.  Even though she obviously couldn’t speak, I could see in her eyes that she was still “in there,” still present, still understanding my presence if not my words.  She had not given up.

“Never give up.”  Those were certainly words I need to hear these days.  It’s been a tempestuous couple of months, filled with a wide range of challenging circumstances, difficult people, and reminders that God has called me to do something which I haven’t fully responded to yet. 

“Never give up.”  During the day, each time I happened to catch sight of my hand and that ring, “never give up” came to mind.  It felt like God’s Spirit whispering to my heart in the guise of my grandmother:  “Never give up.  Remember how she held on, even to the end, even when she couldn’t speak!  You are strong and in the prime of life – how can you do less than she?  There are things only you can do.  Never give up!”

When I first came to faith, I decided that washing my hands was a good reminder to turn my heart to the Lord in prayer.  The warm water on my fingers reminded me of the warm love of our Lord, and I made it my habit to pray at least briefly.  Now I find that I have a new reminder to turn to God: my grandmother’s jade ring.  I expect to be wearing it more often, and I intend to let it be a reminder to me of the simple, ancient discipline of prayer, a reminder of turning my heart and mind to Jesus and remembering the abundant goodness that God grants us at all times and in even the most difficult circumstances.  A reminder as well to never give up...

I encourage you be on the lookout for the reminders God is providing to you to help remember to turn to Him in prayer.

   -1 Thessalonians 5:17

No comments: