Sunday, July 27, 2008

Nothing Can Separate Us from the Love of God

In Romans 8:35, 38-39, Paul tells us that nothing can separate us from the love of God. Boy, it's a good thing to know! Paul lists external things - angels and demons, heights and depths, nakedness, or famine. But just as surely, the things in our own hearts cannot separate us from the love of God.

There's nothing we can do or think that will drive him away or keep him from loving us. We may harden our hearts and turn our backs, but if we turn back to Him, we'll find that it was not God who left us, but we who left God. He is not the Prodigal God, we are the Prodigal Children.

And I take great comfort in that knowledge when my heart starts behaving badly. When I start casting blame instead of loving others. When I try to take the speck out of my brother's or sister's eye when there's still a log protruding from my own. When I let anger or distrust or frustration get the better of me.

Thank you, Lord, for continuing to love your headstrong and wayward children.

No comments: